Photobucket About Mom: My early memories: Poem: My Sisters' Fudge & Music Matters

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Poem: My Sisters' Fudge & Music Matters

Music matters


In the early days, wherever we were living…
on Saturday nights, the family would listen to
The Grand Old Opry!

The older sister’s had their favorites…
Ernest Tubb, Roy Acuff, Hank Williams...Daddy liked Bill Monroe!

Mama liked the romantic ballads of types like Slim Whitman...
but maybe he came later!

Mama - always the Romantic!!



In those days, before Television, (before a lot of things :) ) people found ways to entertain themselves. I remember music fests of sorts, where whole families from all around would get together and 'Make Music!'

Daddy played the FIDDLE! (NOT the violin-the FIDDLE!) Daddy did some pretty MEAN Buck-Dancing too! I never saw Daddy happier than when playing music and having fun with some of his brothers!

Mama played piano, when she would come in contact with one - she never had one of her own until late in her life! It amazed me, how well she could play the piano!


~~~~~~


I remember my two older sisters could make the best
chocolate fudge ever tasted!!!



My Sisters’ Fudge


My sisters made fudge
in the old fashioned way,
just as everyone did
in that day!

Butter-sugar-cocoa-
no short cuts to take;
just skillfully mastered!
..And with no mistake!

They cooked it until,
when dropped from a spoon,
it formed lumps in water.
(Don’t stop cooking too soon!)

At last the vanilla-
then poured up to set!
The old fashioned taste,
I will never forget!


June Kellum



Remembering...

Nov.2003

1 Comments:

At 4:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home