Photobucket About Mom: My early memories: Thinking of Mom

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Thinking of Mom


Today I find myself thinking of Mom and feeling very sad. And although this blog is titled 'My early memories' I find myself thiking of her more and more- and not just my early memories but right up to the day that she left us!

She didn't really leave me - as she is still here in my heart and always will be.

I remember her love and generosity toward everyone...how she wanted to do so much and how she MANAGED to do so much for everyone - with so little!
Christmas gifts were given to all-right down to great-grandchildren, when at all possible.(meaning-if she had an address for them)

In latter years she would send my sister and me on errands for gifts... of the fancy boxed cookies or chocolate covered cherries candy or those big colorful cans of popcorn to give the families...little stuffed toys for the little ones, little trucks and cars!

In years past, when she still could see well enough and her hands were more agile, she would crochet gifts for all of us! I still have all the things she made for me over the years. The last years she had been giving her 5 kids and spouses a gift of cash together! (all of this out of a very small S.S. check each month)

...And Christmas cards would have to be bought and written for her to all the people she knew and loved. Sadly, over the years those lists grew shorter.

The last Christmas season she was with us was the beginning of her final battle. Although she was home at Christmas she was in the hospital shortly after.

In years past, most of the family would come for her birthday/reunion party (Jan.6th.) -a tradition we had started on her 80th. birthday. This year many of Mom's family came, but not to the happy times we had known before! This time was to say goodbye to Mom - to Ma-Ma!

Mom left us exactly 3 weeks after her birthday, on January 27th. There were 40+ family members at her side or in her room!

Days after - I found the Christmas card from her that I had put aside as we opened gifts on Christmas Eve! Inside, of course, was the cash for Charles and me!

This is what we bought with Mom's last gift money for us... a fountain/birdbath. It is part of a small garden we created for Mom just outside my kitchen window.

I think of her often as I watch the birds there each morning!


Junie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home