Photobucket About Mom: My early memories: Little Sister Lost

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Little Sister Lost

About Mom: (Little Sister Lost)

When we lived in the Redlands, we would go to the town of Homestead for shopping.
It was always a treat for us to go into the town, see all the sights - talk to people.
Daddy loved the hamburgers that he could get in a restaurant there. Mama, Joy and I
would choose the thick and delicious milk shakes, usually. (Milkshakes remained a life-long
Favorite of Mom's)
Our older sister, Dolores, was a teen-ager and would go off on her own for awhile.

Sometimes Joy and I would be allowed to go to a movie, while Mama and Daddy shopped .
Usually, what we saw were westerns - Roy and Dale...Gene Autry with his side-kick, Pat Buttram...
( Mama had told us about Pat being her 2nd. cousin and of remembering him from her childhood!
We were impressed! And -there he was - in the movie with Gene Autry!) Sometimes we saw
The Lone Ranger. He was my favorite!

This Christmas season we were shopping in Homestead. We were in a department store
which had decorations all sparkly and bright. Mama liked the glass ornaments with the indented
designs and would, when possible, buy a few each year to add to our collection.
This store also had little dresses, sweaters, jackets, shoes, dolls and toys...all the things Mama longed
for, for her children. So much to see and ponder over!

Suddenly, Mama became frantic with worry! I was still by her side but my little sister (who was five or six at the time)
had wandered away.
She was found quickly, safe and sound, and brought back to Mama on the hand of a policeman!

Mama's worry and swift and desperate search is what I remember most.
Many years later, this came to mind with my own children, if they wandered from my side, in crowds.

I'm sure I turned out to be just as protective of my babies as our Mama was of hers!

Remembering Mama...

June 4, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home